Sunday, November 1, 2009

Daylight Savings

Happy daylight savings, or non-daylight savings day!

Despite the potential this topic has for cost/benefit analysis, this is not the subject matter of this post. This post is about relative directional references.

"Spring forward, fall back." This phrase is supposed to help me remember which way (earlier or later) to move the clock. For some reason, it just confuses me because time is frequently referred to with contradicting relative directions.

For example, if you want to go back in time, you are referring to the past. However, if you want to push a meeting back, you are likely postponing it to some time in the future. So which does "fall back" refer to? Do I set the clock to be one hour less, or one hour more (numerically speaking)? When I figure it out, what trite saying can help me remember how to decode the first saying?

In the fall, I was reminded, you set the clock one hour later. This means you get to sleep an extra hour. How about, "Fall asleep again, you changed your clock" and "Spring out of bed sleepy head."

I think this could work for me or I could move to Arizona and avoid the problem altogether.

3 comments:

  1. that saying has never helped me either since can spring back and fall forward.

    ReplyDelete
  2. move to AZ. You'll never have to worry about it again!!

    ReplyDelete